We often think of essential oils as a way to calm the nervous system, relax us or help us sleep. But did you know that you can also use essential oils to wake up the brain? Herbs have been used in teas, tinctures, and oils for centuries to increase alertness and focus.
Essential oils for focus are effective non-medication approaches that can improve attention, memory and learning.
Research shows us that essential oils such as eucalyptus and peppermint oil help to stimulate the brain and reduce brain fog (Ayaz et al., 2017). Personally, peppermint oil is my go-to for a quick way to wake up my brain on long days.
It is a favorite essential oil of many of the kids I work with who have ADHD. I recall one teen I worked with who would ask to have the diffuser and some essential oils for ADHD next to him in every counseling session because “It makes my brain feel so good.”
What Essential Oil is Good for Calming?
Lavender essential oil is well-known for its calming and relaxing properties (Koulivand et al., 2013). It is often used to promote a sense of tranquility and alleviate stress and anxiety. The scent of lavender has been shown to have a calming effect on the nervous system, making it a popular choice for aromatherapy and relaxation purposes.
To use lavender essential oil for calming effects, you can diffuse it in your living space, add a few drops to a bath, or dilute it with a carrier oil and apply it to your skin, such as on your wrists or temples. Here are other essential oils used for calming the mind and body:
- Chamomile: Calming and soothing, especially Roman chamomile.
- Frankincense: Grounding and can help ease anxiety.
- Bergamot: Uplifting and known to reduce tension.
- Ylang Ylang: Has a calming and euphoric effect.
- Cedarwood: Grounding and helps create a peaceful atmosphere.
- Patchouli: Known for its calming and balancing properties.
- Geranium: Balancing effect and can help reduce nervous tension.
- Clary Sage: Calming and may help with relaxation.
- Valerian: Known for its sedative properties, use with caution and in moderation.
Essential Oils for Focus and Memory
Several essential oils are believed to have properties that may help improve focus and memory. Here's a list of essential oils known for their potential cognitive benefits:
- Rosemary: Often is associated with improved memory and concentration.
- Peppermint: Invigorating scent that may enhance alertness and focus.
- Lemon: Uplifting and refreshing, believed to support cognitive function.
- Eucalyptus: Known for its ability to clear the mind and promote alertness.
- Basil: Thought to help with mental fatigue and promote mental clarity.
- Ginger: Invigorating scent that may boost cognitive function.
- Cypress: Refreshing aroma that may help stimulate the mind.
- Frankincense: Known for its grounding effects and potential cognitive benefits.
- Black Pepper: May promote alertness and mental focus.
- Cinnamon: Invigorating scent that may enhance cognitive performance.
You can use these essential oils through methods like diffusing, inhaling, or diluting with a carrier oil and applying topically. Experiment to find the scents that work best for you, and keep in mind that individual responses to essential oils can vary. Always follow proper dilution guidelines and consider any personal sensitivities or allergies.
Best Essential Oils for Alertness
If you're looking to enhance alertness and mental focus, certain essential oils are known for their invigorating and stimulating properties. Here are some of the best essential oils for promoting alertness:
- Peppermint: Known for its refreshing and invigorating scent, peppermint essential oil can stimulate the mind, increase alertness, and enhance focus.
- Lemon: With its bright and uplifting aroma, lemon essential oil is believed to promote mental clarity, increase focus, and contribute to an energized state of mind.
- Ginger: The warm and spicy scent of ginger essential oil is thought to stimulate the mind, increase alertness, and provide an invigorating boost.
- Blood Orange: The sweet and citrusy aroma of blood orange essential oil can uplift mood, enhance alertness, and promote a sense of energy and vitality.
- Eucalyptus: Known for its invigorating properties, eucalyptus essential oil can stimulate the mind, clear mental fog, and contribute to increased alertness.
Best Essential Oils for Energy
Revitalize your senses and invigorate your day with the best essential oils for energy. Discover the uplifting and refreshing aromas of peppermint, lemon, sweet orange, spearmint, rosemary, and frankincense to naturally boost your vitality and promote a spirited mindset.
Peppermint: Invigorating and refreshing, peppermint essential oil is known to stimulate the mind, increase alertness, and provide a natural energy boost.
- Lemon: With its bright and citrusy aroma, lemon essential oil is uplifting and can help improve mood and increase energy levels.
- Sweet Orange: The sweet and fruity scent of sweet orange essential oil is energizing and mood-boosting, making it a popular choice for promoting vitality.
- Spearmint: Similar to peppermint, spearmint essential oil has a refreshing scent that can help alleviate fatigue, promote mental clarity, and boost energy.
- Rosemary: Known for its stimulating properties, rosemary essential oil can enhance mental alertness, reduce fatigue, and contribute to increased energy.
- Frankincense: While often associated with relaxation, frankincense essential oil can also have invigorating properties, helping to balance the mind and uplift the spirit.
- Sage: The earthy and herbaceous scent of sage essential oil can provide a sense of clarity, focus, and increased energy.
Best Essential Oils for Studying or Learning
These essential oils for concentration, focus, and cognitive function are suitable for studying or learning:
- Peppermint: Invigorating and stimulating, peppermint essential oil can help improve alertness, focus, and mental clarity, making it beneficial for studying.
- Basil: The fresh and herbal scent of basil essential oil is believed to reduce mental fatigue, enhance concentration, and promote clear thinking, making it helpful during study sessions.
- Eucalyptus: Known for its clarifying properties, eucalyptus essential oil can clear the mind, improve mental focus, and contribute to a conducive environment for learning.
- Rosemary: Often associated with memory enhancement and cognitive function, rosemary essential oil may help improve concentration, memory retention, and overall mental performance.
Best Essential Oils for Impulse Control:
Essential oils are believed to have calming and grounding effects that may help with impulse control (Damian & Damian, 1995). Here are some essential oils known for their potential benefits in promoting emotional balance and impulse control:
- Vetiver: With its earthy and grounding aroma, vetiver essential oil is often used to promote relaxation and emotional stability, potentially aiding in impulse control.
- Frankincense: Known for its calming properties, frankincense essential oil can help create a sense of tranquility and balance, supporting emotional regulation.
- Chamomile: Both Roman and German chamomile essential oils are known for their calming effects, which can help reduce stress and promote emotional well-being.
- Lavender: Widely recognized for its calming properties, the lavender essential oil may help soothe nerves and contribute to emotional balance.
- Geranium: The floral and balancing scent of geranium essential oil is believed to have a calming effect on the nervous system, potentially assisting with emotional regulation.
- Bergamot: Known for its uplifting and citrusy aroma, bergamot essential oil can help reduce anxiety and stress, supporting emotional stability.
Best Essential Oils for Energy and Focus:
Are you looking for a natural way to boost your energy and sharpen your focus? Essential oils might be the answer. These aromatic extracts from plants are known for their invigorating properties and their ability to enhance mental clarity.
Here are some of the best essential oils for energy and focus:
Peppermint: Known for its refreshing and invigorating scent, peppermint essential oil can stimulate the mind, increase alertness, and enhance focus.
Lemon: With its bright and uplifting aroma, lemon essential oil is believed to promote mental clarity, increase focus, and contribute to an energized state of mind.
Ginger: The warm and spicy scent of ginger essential oil is thought to stimulate the mind, increase alertness, and provide an invigorating boost.
Eucalyptus: Known for its invigorating properties, eucalyptus essential oil can stimulate the mind, clear mental fog, and contribute to increased alertness.
These essential oils can be used in various ways, such as through diffusion, inhalation, or dilution with a carrier oil for topical application. Experiment with these oils to find the scents that work best for you, and discover how they can help you stay energized and focused throughout the day without medication.
How Long Are Essential Oils Good For?
Essential oils have a remarkable shelf life, but like all natural products, they can deteriorate over time.
If you're wondering how long essential oils are good for, here are some key considerations:
Shelf Life: Most essential oils have a shelf life of 2-3 years when stored properly. This can vary depending on the type of oil and the quality of the product.
Storage: To extend the lifespan of your essential oils, store them in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. Keep the lids tightly closed to prevent oxidation.
Quality: The quality of the essential oil plays a significant role in its longevity. High-quality oils tend to last longer than those of lower quality.
Check for Changes: Over time, essential oils may change in color, consistency, or scent. While these changes don't necessarily mean the oil is harmful, they can indicate a decrease in potency.
Expiration Dates: Some essential oil brands may include expiration dates on their products. Pay attention to these dates and use oils before they expire for optimal effectiveness.
Remember that essential oils are potent substances, and their effectiveness may diminish as they age. However, even older oils can still offer some benefits, so it's not always necessary to discard them once they reach their expiration date.
Aromatherapy Focus with a Diffuser
Enhancing your focus and concentration can be as simple as using a diffuser or a doTERRA diffuser with carefully selected essential oils. A doTERRA diffuser is an excellent tool for dispersing essential oils into the air, creating a focused environment for work, study, or any activity that demands concentration.
doTERRA offers enhanced scents and blends specifically designed to promote focus and concentration. These blends often combine essential oils known for their cognitive-enhancing properties, such as Rosemary, Peppermint, and Lemon.
To use a diffuser for focus:
- Fill the diffuser with water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add a few drops of your chosen doTERRA essential oil blend for focus.
- Turn on the diffuser and enjoy the invigorating aroma as it fills the room.
Using a doTERRA diffuser can help create a calm yet stimulating atmosphere that supports your mental clarity and concentration. Explore the range of doTERRA blends and find the one that works best for you.
Natural Ways to Increase Focus and Concentration
In a world filled with distractions and demands on our attention, finding natural ways to increase focus and concentration is more important than ever. Essential oils offer a holistic and non-invasive approach to enhancing mental clarity.
Here are some natural ways to sharpen your focus:
Mindfulness: Practicing mindfulness meditation can train your brain to stay present and focused on the task at hand.
Nutrition: A balanced diet rich in brain-boosting nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins can support cognitive function.
Adequate Sleep: Getting enough quality sleep is crucial for cognitive performance. Lack of sleep can lead to brain fog and decreased concentration.
Exercise: Regular physical activity has been shown to improve focus and memory. It increases blood flow to the brain and promotes the release of neurotransmitters that enhance cognitive function.
Essential Oils: Incorporating essential oils into your daily routine can provide an aromatic boost to your concentration. Oils like Rosemary, Peppermint, and Lemon are known for their ability to enhance mental clarity and focus.
By combining these natural strategies, you can create a lifestyle that supports your cognitive well-being. Whether it's through mindfulness, nutrition, sleep, exercise, or the use of essential oils, you have the power to increase your focus and concentration naturally.
How to Use Frankincense for Brain Health
Frankincense essential oil is renowned for its potential benefits for brain health and mental clarity. If you're wondering how to use Frankincense essential oil to maximize its effects on your brain, here are some tips:
Diffusion: Add a few drops of Frankincense essential oil to your diffuser. Inhale the aroma as it disperses into the air to promote mental clarity and focus.
Topical Application: Dilute Frankincense essential oil with a carrier oil and apply it to your temples or the back of your neck. This can help enhance cognitive function and reduce brain fog.
Aromatherapy: Carry a small bottle of Frankincense oil with you and inhale it whenever you need a mental boost. You can also apply a drop to your wrists and inhale the scent as needed.
Mindful Meditation: Incorporate Frankincense essential oil into your meditation practice. Apply it topically or diffuse it to create a calming yet focused atmosphere.
Frankincense essential oil is believed to have a grounding and clarifying effect on the mind. By using it strategically, you can support your brain health and improve your overall mental clarity and focus.
Essential Oils for Confidence and Productivity
Confidence and productivity go hand in hand when it comes to achieving your goals. If you're looking to boost your confidence and enhance your productivity, consider incorporating essential oils into your daily routine.
Here are some essential oils known for their potential to support confidence and productivity:
Bergamot: This citrusy essential oil is known for its uplifting and mood-boosting properties. It can help reduce stress and promote a positive mindset, which is essential for confidence and productivity.
Clary Sage: Clary Sage essential oil is known for its calming and balancing effect on the nervous system. It can help reduce nervous tension and create a sense of clarity and focus.
Basil: Basil essential oil is thought to reduce mental fatigue, brain fog and promote mental clarity. It can support your cognitive function, allowing you to tackle tasks with confidence.
Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil's invigorating scent can help improve alertness, focus, and mental clarity. It's an excellent choice for boosting productivity.
To incorporate these essential oils into your daily routine for enhanced confidence and productivity, consider diffusing them in your workspace, adding a few drops to a diffuser bracelet, or diluting them for topical application. By harnessing the power of aromatherapy, you can create an environment that supports your goals and aspirations.
Increasing Brain Power With Essential Oils
Young Living essential oils are known for their quality and effectiveness in supporting various aspects of health and well-being, including cognitive function, mental wellness and mental clarity. If you're interested in boosting your brain power with Young Living essential oils, here are some oils to explore:
Cedarwood: Cedarwood essential oil is believed to have grounding and calming effects. It can support mental clarity and focus.
Lavender: Lavender essential oil is widely recognized for its calming properties. A calm mind is essential for clear thinking and enhanced cognitive function.
Rosemary: Rosemary essential oil is often associated with memory enhancement and cognitive function. It can help improve concentration and mental clarity.
Frankincense: While Frankincense is often linked to relaxation, it also has invigorating properties. It can help balance the mind and uplift the spirit, supporting mental clarity.
To incorporate Young Living essential oils into your daily routine for maximum brain power, consider diffusing them in your home, using them in your skincare routine, or diluting them for topical application. Young Living offers a range of high-quality oils to support your cognitive health and overall well-being.
How Essential Oils Are a Powerful Natural Solution
The world of essential oils offers a treasure trove of natural remedies that cater to a wide range of cognitive and emotional needs. From enhancing focus and memory to promoting calm and impulse control, these oils serve as versatile tools for parents and individuals seeking holistic ways to support mental health and well-being.
Whether it's the invigorating aroma of peppermint for alertness, the soothing scent of lavender for tranquility, or the clarifying essence of rosemary for cognitive performance, each essential oil brings its unique benefits and of course are non-medication alternatives.
By incorporating these oils into daily routines, whether through diffusion, topical application, or inhalation, we can harness their natural properties to improve concentration, manage stress, and foster a balanced, focused, and calmer state of mind.
Starting Your Essential Oil and Natural Solutions Journey
Incorporating essential oils into your daily routine can have a significant impact on your energy, focus, memory, and cognitive function. Whether you're looking for a natural way to stay alert, sharpen your concentration, or enhance your mental clarity, essential oils offer a holistic and non-medication approach to support your goals.
By exploring the world of aromatherapy and experimenting with different essential oils and blends, you can find the scents that work best for you. Remember that individual responses to essential oils can vary, so it's essential to discover what suits your preferences and needs.
As you embrace natural ways to boost your energy, focus, and brain power, you'll be better equipped to tackle the challenges of daily life with confidence and productivity. Enhance your well-being through the power of essential oils and enjoy the benefits of a clear and focused mind.
Remember to use essential oils with care and respect for their potency. Always follow proper dilution guidelines, consider any personal sensitivities or allergies, and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about using essential oils for specific health conditions.
Parent Action Steps
☐ Introduce stimulating oils like eucalyptus and peppermint to reduce brain fog.
☐ Incorporate lavender essential oil into bedtime routines to reduce stress.
☐ Support cognitive function with oils like rosemary, peppermint, and lemon.
☐ Use invigorating oils such as peppermint, lemon, and ginger for morning focus.
☐ Promote emotional balance and impulse control with calming oils like chamomile.
☐ Learn 5 Ways to Boost Your Child's Attention and Executive Functioning.
☐ Give your child better brain health with Neurotastic™ Multi-Mag Brain™ Formula.
Ayaz, M., Sadiq, A., Junaid, M., Ullah, F., Subhan, F., & Ahmed, J. (2017). Neuroprotective and Anti-Aging Potentials of Essential Oils from Aromatic and Medicinal Plants. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 9(168). https://doi.org/10.3389/fnagi.2017.00168
Damian, P., & Damian, K. (1995). Aromatherapy: Scent and Psyche: Using Essential Oils for Psychological and Physical Well-being. Healing Arts Press.
Koulivand, P. H., Khaleghi Ghadiri, M., & Gorji, A. (2013). Lavender and the Nervous System. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/681304/
Are you looking for SOLUTIONS for your struggling child or teen?
Dr. Roseann and her team are all about science-backed solutions, so you are in the right place!
Grab your complimentary copy of
147 Therapist-Endorsed Self-Regulation Strategies for Children: A Practical Guide for Parents
You can get her books for parents and professionals, including: It’s Gonna Be OK™: Proven Ways to Improve Your Child’s Mental Health, Teletherapy Toolkit™ and Brain Under Attack: A Resource For Parents and Caregivers of Children With PANS, PANDAS, and Autoimmune Encephalopathy.
If you are a business or organization that needs proactive guidance to support employee mental health or an organization looking for a brand representative, check out Dr. Roseann’s professional speaking page to see how we can work together.
Dr. Roseann is a Children’s Mental Health Expert and Licensed Therapist who has been featured in/on hundreds of media outlets including The Mel Robbins Show, CBS, NBC, PIX11 NYC, Today, FORBES, CNN, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Business Insider, Women’s Day, Healthline, CNET, Parade Magazine and PARENTS. FORBES called her, “A thought leader in children’s mental health.”
Dr. Roseann Capanna-Hodge has three decades of experience in working with children, teens and their families with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism, concussion, dyslexia and learning disability, anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), depression and mood disorder, Lyme Disease, and PANS/PANDAS using science-backed natural mental health solutions such as supplements, magnesium, nutrition, QEEG Brain maps, neurofeedback, PEMF, psychotherapy and other non-medication approaches.
She is the author of three bestselling books, It’s Gonna Be OK!: Proven Ways to Improve Your Child's Mental Health, The Teletherapy Toolkit, and Brain Under Attack. Dr. Roseann is known for offering a message of hope through science-endorsed methods that promote a calm brain.
She is the founder and director of The Global Institute of Children’s Mental Health, Neurotastic™Brain Formulas and Dr. Roseann Capanna-Hodge, LLC. Dr. Roseann is a Board Certified Neurofeedback (BCN) Practitioner, a Board Member of the Northeast Region Biofeedback Society (NRBS), Certified Integrative Mental Health Professional (CIMHP) and an Amen Clinic Certified Brain Health Coach. She is also a member of The International Lyme Disease and Associated Disease Society (ILADS), The American Psychological Association (APA), Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), International OCD Foundation (IOCDF).
© Roseann-Capanna-Hodge, LLC 2023